jueves, 15 de octubre de 2015

The limits of my language are the limits of my world

The quote "You live a new life for every language you speak. If you know only one language, you live only once." really inspires me. I completely agree with what it says, as the opportunity to learn a new language opens so many doors in life. When you learn a new language, you are not just learning a  language, you are entering into a new world of culture, food, history ...
It´s not something that can be done quickly and that easily, it takes years of dedication and hard work to perfect all the different skills that are involved in being able to speak a language. I think one of the things that people find most difficult is being able to have a conversation, being able to use everything they have learnt about the grammar and rules and put it into action. It is harder than you initially think to communicate with a native person of the language that you are learning, as it´s one thing to study rules from a book, but it´s completely different when you are in foreign country and communication is essential.
From a personal point of view, I have lived in Spain for 12 years and it hasn´t always been that easy. Some say that the younger you are, the easier it is to learn a language, which is true. But that isn´t always biggest the problem. It´s easy to feel intimidated when surrounded by teachers and children that you don´t understand. I can still remember like it was yesterday, the first day I went to school in my new town here in Spain. I don´t think I´ve ever been so confused in my whole life, to put it lightly. I was surrounded by children that were talking and screaming in a completely different language and I didn´t understand what the teacher was saying either. In time I learnt to speak spanish and it all a little easier. Unfortunately, the feeling of inferiority was always present, as I never seemed to be able to reach the same goals as everyone else, and I didn´t really fit in. It has only in the last 4 years that I have felt that I belong here and I think that is something that a lot of people don´t realise when moving to a new country. I would never regret coming to Spain though, as it opened so many doors for me. I don´t know if I would have had such an interest in languages if I had stayed in England.
 In my case, the more languages I learn, the more I want to learn and it´s one of my favorite things to do.

1 comentario:

  1. I have no doubt, languages are a great window to other cultures and, of course, to our own. Great post!

    ResponderEliminar